• Abuse/neglect of seniors or disabled adults – In Grundy County, call Catholic Charities at 815-933-7791 or the 24-hour adult protective services hotline at
• Advocate Childhood Trauma Treatment Program – No-cost 20-session therapy/counseling services for children and adolescents who have experienced trauma. Call 1-800-210-1110 or visit advocatehealth.com/familycarenetwork.
• Affordable Care Act open enrollment – The Access to Dental and Primary Care Committee of the Will County Mobilizing for Action through Planning and Partnerships Collaborative said Medicaid and marketplace insurance are still both available through the Affordable Care Act for 2018 through Dec. 15. All plans sold during this period will start
Jan. 1, 2018. To enroll or for information, visit www.healthcare.gov or make an appointment with an ACA outreach specialist at the Will County Community Health Center by calling 815-774-6090 or by walking in at 1106 Neal Ave, Joliet.
• Breakfast Club – Lewis University, Student Recreation and Fitness Center, 1 University Parkway, Romeoville. Ages 55 and older. For times, fees, registration and information, call Jill Siegfried at 815-836-5277.
• Cardiac risk assessment – Outpatient Testing Center, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Measures total cholesterol including HDL and LDL levels, blood glucose level, triglyceride level, blood pressure and body fat, and 12-lead EKG. A 12-hour fast is required. $40. Cash, check or credit card will be accepted at the time of appointment. Insurance will not be billed. Call 815-300-7076.
• Catholic Charities’ Ombudsman Program – Protects and promotes the rights and quality of life for those who reside in long-term-care facilities in Kankakee, Will and Grundy counties. Services are confidential and free. Call 815-932-1921 or
• Child Abuse Hotline – 1-800-25-ABUSE (252-2873)
• Flu shots – Walk-ins: 8 to 11:30 a.m. Monday, Thursday and Friday; 1 to 4 p.m. Tuesday and 1 to 6 p.m. Wednesday. Closed fourth Friday of the month. Will County Health Department’s Immunizations office, 501 Ella Ave., Joliet. By appointment at the northern branch, 323 Quadrangle Drive, Bolingbrook; and the eastern branch, 5601 West Monee-Manhattan Road, Monee. For appointments at either branch, residents can call 815-740-8143. Fees: Quadrivalent flu vaccine for adults and children is $40. High-dose flu vaccines for age 65 and older and egg-free flu vaccines are $65. The fee is $23.75 for ages 6 months through 18, who are eligible for the Vaccines for Children Program. For information, visit www.willcountyhealth.org.
• Food safety – Food safety coaches are available from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, on the “Ask Karen Chat” and by phone at the USDA’s Meat and Poultry Hotline, 1-888-674-6854. Recorded messages are available 24 hours a day.
• Free amplified phones – 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, Disability Resource Center, 77 N. 129th Infantry Drive, Joliet. Bring latest telephone bill and ID card. Call 815-729-0162 (voice), 815-729-2085 (TTY) or 815-768-2582 (VRS).
• Free blood pressure checks – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call 708-364 6337.
• Free health insurance counseling – A volunteer counselor from the Senior Health Insurance Program is available at Morris Hospital by appointment. Counselors also are available by appointment in Coal City and Seneca. Open enrollment is through Dec. 7. Call 815-705-1063. If younger than age 65 and currently not on Medicare, call 1-866-311-1119 to enroll in the Illinois Marketplace offerings or to obtain other assistance, such as locating a local counselor.
• Grief counseling – Available at Joliet Area Community Hospice for anyone of any age experiencing loss due to death of child, parent, sibling, grandparent, relative, friend or pet, regardless of the cause of death. Call Mary Ann Burns at 815-460-3282.
• Grundy VAC office – To learn about programs for veterans on the local, state and federal level, call 815-941-3152.
• Holiday Tree & Wreath Sale – Through Nov. 24. 24-inch Fraser fir wreaths for $30, 6- to 8-foot Fraser fir trees for $50 and 8- to 10-foot Fraser fir trees for $65. Benefits Cancer Support Center. Order at give.classy.org/TreeSale17. For information, email Brandon Newberry at email@example.com or call 708-798-9171.
• Illinois Poison Control – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including holidays. Call IPC at 1-800-222-1222. For information, visit
• LifeSource Blood Donor mobile app – Android users: Google Play. iPhone users: Apple App Store.
• Lung cancer screening – Low-dose CT scan. Annual screening recommended for adults age 55 to 74 years old who have smoked at least a pack a day for 30 years, current smokers, or have quit within the last 15 years and are in relatively good health. Covered by Medicare and most insurance plans. Must have a doctor’s order. To schedule, call 815-300-7076.
• Medicare Open Enrollment: Free help for seniors – Senior Health Insurance Program at 1-800-252-8966, weekdays 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. For information about SHIP, including a list of locations, visit www.illinois.gov/aging/ship/Pages/default.aspx.
• Morris Hospital online childbirth class – Instructive video clips, animations, interactive games and birth stories. Tours of the Family Birthing Suites at Morris Hospital scheduled upon request. $65. Register at www.morrishospital.org/events. For information, call 815-942-3012.
• Morris Hospital online health risk assessments – For heart health, peripheral artery disease and stroke. Visit www.morrishospital.org/getcheckednow.
• Morris Hospital seeking patient transportation volunteers – For information on volunteering, call Morris Hospital at 815-705-7022.
• Morris Hospital seeking volunteers for Youth Cardiac Screening Program – To volunteer, contact Karen Nowosielski or visit www.morrishospital.org/rhythmofouryouth.
• NAMI – Offers information about mental illness conditions, symptoms and treatment at www.namiwillgrundy.org or through its HelpLine at 815-731-9103.
• Postnatal physical therapy screenings – Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Free for women six weeks to one year post-delivery. 15-minute exam. Focus on posture, core and pelvic strength. For confidential appointment, call 815-300-6288.
• Seniors: Weatherize Your Home – Two visits a year includes a home safety inspections, weatherizing, outdoor water line check, moving of outdoor hoses, dryer vent check and cleaning, smoke detector battery check and replacement, furnace or air conditioner filter check and replacement, outdoor light bulb replacement, covering or uncovering air-conditioning units; and installing or removing window air-conditioning units. $20 a month for members of Senior Services of Will County or $30 a month for nonmembers. For information, call Sandy at 815-740-4204.
• Silver Cross online sleep disorders assessment – Visit www.silvercross.org/sleepdisorderscenter.
• Silver Cross online stroke risk assessment – Visit www.silvercross.org/neuro.
• Will County Health Department walk-in Immunization Clinic – 501 Ella Ave., Joliet. For hours and information about immunization services available to children and adults, call the Will County Health Department immunizations desk at 815-740-8143 or visit shawurl.com/34il.
• Holiday Hustle 5K Run/Walk – 1 to
3 p.m. Nov. 26, Babe’s Tap, 755 S. Broadway St., Coal City. Proceeds benefit Coal City Backpack Program. Register at register.chronotrack.com/r/34819. For information, call Pam at 815-518-2300.
• Lights of Love – Nov. 22, Rialto Square Theater, 102 N. Chicago St., Joliet. Check-in is at 5 p.m. Ceremony is from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Registration deadline is Nov. 20. Photos for the memorial due Nov. 8. $20 an ornament. To register or for information, visit www.joliethospice.org/events.html.
• Plainfield Park District Yoga Classes – Yoga: Plainfield Township Community Center, 15014 S. Des Plaines St., Plainfield. 18 and older. Basic Beginning Yoga: Plainfield Township Community Center. 18 and older. Gentle Yoga: Plainfield Township Community Center. 20 and older. Any level of health. Kids’ Yoga: Streams Recreation Center, 24319 Cedar Creek Lane, Plainfield. Ages 6 to 10. Little Kids’ Yoga: Streams Recreation Center. Ages 3 to 5. For times, registration and information, visit www.plfdparks.org or call 815-436-8812.
• Free Diabetes Awareness Expo – 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center, 333 N. Madison St., Joliet. Free screenings, presentations and risk assessments. Live cooking demonstration from 11 a.m. to noon. Resources for adults and children with diabetes, families and those at risk for diabetes. Products and services. For information, call 877-737-4636.
• Yoga – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.; also Nov. 21, The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Memory loss, dementia and Alzheimer’s disease – 5:30 to 7 p.m., Evergreen Senior Living, 10820 183rd St., Orland Park. Hosted by Will County Senior Services. To register, call 815-744-0804 or visit alz.org/illinois.
• Joliet TOPS – Weigh-in is from 5:45 to 6:15 p.m., meeting is at 6:30 p.m.; also Nov. 21, First Presbyterian Church, 805 Western Ave., Joliet. For information, call Linda
• Baby Care Basics – 6 to 7:30 p.m., Morris Hospital Boardroom, 150 W. High St., Morris. $15 a couple. Register at www.morrishospital.org/events. For information, call 815-942-3012.
• Develop Your Intuition: An Interactive Workshop – 6 to 7:30 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. Speaker: Intuition expert and healer, Dr. Susan Bova. Bring small object with sentimental meaning. For registration and information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Free Hospice and Palliative Care Presentation – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Plainfield Presence Healing Arts Pavilion, 16615 S. Route 59, Plainfield. Learn the differences between hospice and palliative care, how people can benefit from each and when someone might be eligible for this health care benefit. Light refreshments served. Hosted by Rainbow Hospice and Palliative Care and Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center, RSVP to Lynette Cremerious at 847-653-3041 or Lcremerius@RainbowHospice.org.
• Bipolar Disease Support Group – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital’s Behavioral Health Services, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. First-time participants register at 888-660-HEAL or www.silvercross.org.
• Heavy Periods Bringing You Down? – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Presenter: Dr. Gamilah Pierre, gynecologist with The Midwest Institute for Robotic Surgery at Silver Cross Hospital. Register to attend at www.silvercross.org.
• Birthing Center tours – 7 p.m.; also Nov. 21, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• Modern Karate: Parent Child Beginner – 7 to 7:55 p.m., Tuesdays through Jan. 9, Central Square gym, 222 E. 9th St., Lockport. To register or for more information, visit www.lockportpark.org or call 815-838-3621 ext. 0.
• NAMI Family Support Group (Morris) – 7 p.m., Morris Hospital, 150 High St., Morris. Free. Confidential. Facilitated by trained team of family members of individuals living with mental illness. For more information, call 815-731-9103 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Advanced Martial Arts – 8:25 to 9:15 p.m., Tuesdays through Jan. 9, Central Square gym, 222 E. 9th St., Lockport. Age 15 and up. To register or for more information, visit www.lockportpark.org or call 815-838-3621 ext. 0.
• Sit & Stay Fit Chair Exercises – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Crest Hill Library, 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill. For information, call 815-552-4284 or visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org.
• Get Moving Get Fit – 4 to 4:45 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Obesity and Your Health: Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You? – 5:45 p.m. BMI Surgery, Silver Cross Hospital Pavilion A, Suite 260, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Drs. Christopher Joyce and Brian Lahmann, gastric bypass surgeons, will offer a free informational session. Register at
888-660-4325 or www.silvercross.org.
• Brain Injury Support Group – 6 p.m., Easter Seals Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or email@example.com.
• Combination Therapy for Cancer: Why, When & How? – 6 to 7 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. Speaker: Dr. Golden, assistant professor of radiation and cellular oncology at The University of Chicago Comprehensive Cancer Center. For registration and information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Substance Use Disorder Education – 6 p.m., Stepping Stones, 1621 Theodore St., Joliet. Topics include effects of drugs, overdose prevention, disease versus choice, Alanon and co-dependency, effect on families and needs of family members. Reservations not needed. For information, call 815-744-4555, ext. 111.
• Basics of Breastfeeding Class – 6:30 to 9 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital, Pavilion A, Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. $15 a person. Register at www.silvercross.org/specialdeliveries or 888-660-HEAL (4325).
• Free Overdose Awareness Clinic – 7 to 8:30 p.m., VP Counseling & DUI Services, Inc., 336 W. Maple St., Unit #4, New Lenox. For all concerned families and individuals. For information, visit www.avpduicounseling.com.
• T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) – 9 to 10:45 a.m., Troy Township Community Center, 25448 Seil Road, Shorewood. For information, call Kathy at 815-210-5742 or Judy at 815-744-2068.
• Diabetes Education Classes – 10 to 11:30 a.m., Jewel-Osco at 1403 W. Jefferson St., Joliet. Free to members of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois. Medicare Advantage or Medicaid Members must register in advance and bring their BCBSIL card to the class. Classes limited to 25 members. Each registered BCBSIL member may bring a guest. For more information and to register, call 877-728-6655 or visit www.Jewelosco.com\Living365.
• Happy Back Yoga – 10 to 11 a.m., Mokena Community Public Library District, 11327 W. 195th St., Mokena. This class helps alleviate back pain and other spinal issues. Registration required. To register, call 708-479-9663. For information, contact Tracy Domzalski at firstname.lastname@example.org or 708-479-9663.
• Men’s group – 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Kids Film Club – 4 to 5 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. Children age 6 to 12 with cancer may attend will learn social-emotional skills through popular movies and activities to help process what they watched. For registration and information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Caregiver Support Group – 6:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Nurturing Mom – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Offered by Edward Hospital, Naperville. Weekly group for new or expectant moms who are experiencing emotional lows. Led by a licensed clinical psychologist and a therapist with extensive backgrounds in postpartum depression. For information, call 630-527-3957 or 630-527-6363.
• Free STRONG by Zumba – Class is 9 to 10 a.m., Nov. 18, The Oaks Recreation & Fitness Center, 10847 La Porte Road, Mokena. Age 16 and up. To register and for more information, call 708-390-2343 or visit www.mokenapark.com.
• Pump Gas and Support Joy in Childhood Foundation – Nov. 17, at the following gas stations: 8810 W. 191st St., Mokena; 19420 S. Harlem Ave., Frankfort; 2516 N. Cedar Road, New Lenox; 2401 S. Chicago St., Joliet; 1201 W. Jefferson St., Shorewood. Will donate 5 cents per gallon pumped to the Joy in Childhood Foundation, which raises money to support children’s hospitals and food banks.
• Breathers’ Support Group – 10 to 11 a.m., Morris Hospital, 150 W. High Street, Morris. For individuals with chronic lung disease, including COPD, asthma, emphysema, bronchitis and pulmonary fibrosis. Guest presenter pulmonologist Dr. Anas Lababidi will discuss lung disease and tests used in diagnosis. Register at www.morrishospital.org/events or call 815-705-7837.
• Breastfeeding Support Group – 10:30 a.m. to noon, Silver Cross Hospital’s Conference Center, Pavilion A, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Infants welcome. First time participants register at www.silvercross.org/specialdeliveries or call 1-888-660-HEAL (4325).
• Essential Oils – 1 p.m., 710 W. Black Rd. in Shorewood. Hosted by Alden Estates of Shorewood Short-Term Rehabilitation Center and Alden Courts of Shorewood Memory Care Community. RSVP by calling 815- 230-8700 or visiting www.aldencourtsofshorewood.com/oil.
• Cancer Support Center’s Holiday Spirits – 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., Flossmoor Country Club. $45. Benefits the Cancer Support Center’s Mokena and Homewood locations. For tickets, visit give.classy.org/HolidaySpirits. For information, email Brandon Newberry at email@example.com or call 708-798-9171.
• Free health and wellness expo – 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Get Fit 24/7, 110 E. Waverly St., Morris. Free admission and parking. Free health screening, healthy food samples and fitness demos. Health and education outreach, community resources, pet adoption and giving tree, flu shots, raffles, face painting, coloring contest, safety checks for car seat, bicycle, fire, internet. All ages welcome. Free day care. For vendor list and updates, visit Get Fit 24/7 on Facebook.
• Turkey Trot 5K Plus – Nov. 18. Registration is at 8 a.m. Start time is at 9 a.m., at the Joliet Autobahn, 3795 Centerpoint Way, Joliet. Five-member teams welcome. Trophies and medals. Benefits Big Brothers Big Sisters of Will and Grundy Counties. To register and for information, call 815-723-2227 or visit www.bbbswillgrundy.org.
• One-Day Prepared Childbirth Class – 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital, Pavilion A, Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. $80 per couple. Register at www.silvercross.org/specialdeliveries.org.
• Cancer Support Center’s Holiday House Walk – Ticket pickup is 9 a.m. House walk begins 10 a.m., Flossmoor Country Club. Benefits the Cancer Support Center’s Mokena and Homewood locations. Also lunch, raffles, holiday shopping. For tickets, visit www.classy.org/flossmoor/events/holiday-house-walk/e151907. For information, email Brandon Newberry at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 708-798-9171.
• Parent and Me Group Training – 9:45 to 10:30 a.m. Saturdays. Event begins Nov. 18, Challenge Fitness, 2021 S. Lawrence Ave., Lockport. Ages 7 and older with parents. For information, visit www.lockportpark.org or call 815-838-3621, ext. 0.
• Birthing Center tours – 1:30 p.m.; also 1:30 and 4 p.m. Sunday, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• Childerguild 89th annual Ball – 6 p.m. Nov. 18, Odyssey Country Club, Tinley Park. Theme: “Venetian Masquerade.” Dinner, dancing, Don Cagen Orchestra, presentation of Silver Cross Sehring Medal of Excellence for Healthcare to Dr. Dave Mikolajczak and the Silver Cross Sangmeister Medal of Excellence for Community Service to Will County State’s Attorney James Glasgow. Black tie optional. $250. Benefits women’s and children’s programs and services at Silver Cross Hospital. For reservations, call 815-300-7105.
• NAMI Connection Support Group – 6 p.m., Presence St. Joseph Medical Center, LDRP Classroom, 222 Madison St., Joliet. For adults living with mental illness. Free. Contact NAMI Will Grundy at 815-731-9103 or email@example.com.
• NAMI Family Support Group (Joliet) – 6 p.m., Presence St. Joseph Medical Center, LDRP Classroom, 222 Madison St., Joliet. Free. Facilitated by trained team of family members of individuals living with mental illness. For more information, call 815-731-9103 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Mended Hearts – 2 p.m., Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center, 333 N. Madison St., Joliet. Support group for heart patients. For information, call Margaret Downey at 815-725-7133, ext. 7847.
• Tai Chi – 2:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood retirement community, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free and open to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Teen clinic – 3 to 6 p.m., Will County Community Health Center, 1106 Neal Ave., Joliet. Birth control, health education, and testing pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases and HIV. Ages 12 to 21. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call or text 815-685-2178.
• Breast Cancer Networking Group – 6 to 7:30 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information,call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Family Caregiver Support Group – 11 a.m., Easter Seals, Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or email@example.com.
• Bosom Buddies support group – 7 to 8:30 p.m., Presence Cancer Care, 2614 W. Jefferson St., Joliet.