• BrightDogs – Indoor dog park, classes, dog day care and indoor training. For information, visit www.brightdogs.net.
• Citizen Science Bat Monitoring Program – Sign-up deadline is April 1. First come, first served. For information, call Forest Preserve District of Will County’s volunteer supervisor Renee Gauchat at 815-722-7364. For information, visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• Free dry dog food – For active and retired U.S. military personnel. Monthly program. Must be picked up by the owner in Joliet. Proof of military service is required if you are retired. For information and a short telephone interview, call COPE Animal Rescue at 815-342-0378.
• Injured wildlife – Contact a wildlife rehabilitator by visiting shawurl.com/32k8 or web.extension.illinois.edu/wildlife.
• The Forest Preserve District of Will County dog parks – Permit required. For information, visit www.reconnectwithnature.org.
• 3rd annual Spayghetti & No Balls Benefit – 6 p.m. Feb. 24, Chicago Marriott Naperville, 1801 N. Naperville Blvd., Naperville. Dinner, drinks, games, entertainment, silent auction and raffle. Proceeds benefit homeless pets and families in need in Illinois. $40. Includes one drink ticket. For tickets and information, visit www.spayillinois.org.
• Advanced classes for competition level handlers working at the open and utility level – Three-week class starts at noon Feb. 27 and runs through March 13. Francis Field Youth Foundation Building, 801 E. Francis Road, New Lenox. $60. For registration and information, contact Carolyn McGuire at 815-922-3058 or email email@example.com.
• Animal-assisted therapy program at Edward Hospital – To be considered, visit www.eehealth.org/ways-to-give/volunteer/animal-assisted-therapy. Applicants will be contacted for pre-screening. For information, call Cynthia Brooks at 630-527-5305 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Fur Ball – 7 p.m. March 24, Harrah’s Joliet Casino and Hotel, 151 N. Joliet St., Joliet. Benefits Will County Humane Society. For tickets and information, call 815-741-0695 or visit www.willcountyhumane.com.
• Murder at O’Henry’s Speakeasy: A Murder Mystery Fundraiser – 6 to 10 p.m. Feb. 24, Chicago Gaelic Park, 6119 147th St., Oak Forest. $60. Hosted by NAWS Humane Society of Illinois. For tickets and information, visit www.nawsus.org.
• Puppy and beginner dog training classes – Six-week class starts at 1 p.m. Feb. 27 and runs through April 3, Francis Field Youth Foundation Building, 801 E. Francis Road, New Lenox. $120. For registration and information, contact Carolyn McGuire at 815-922-3058 or email email@example.com.
• Cat adoption – 5 to 7 p.m.; also 1 to 3 p.m. Feb. 18, Bolingbrook PetSmart on Weber Road. If the cat you’re looking for isn’t there or those times don’t work for you, call Humane Haven Animal Shelter at 630-378-4208 for information or an appointment. All Humane Haven cats are spayed or neutered, microchipped, FeLV/FIV tested and have their distemper and rabies shots.
• “Bee a Beekeeper: Introduction to Successful Beekeeping” registration deadline – Six-week course will be held from 6 to
8 p.m. Feb. 20 to March 27, Plum Creek Nature Center, Beecher. Ages 18 and older. $60. To register, visit ReconnectWithNature.org or by call 708-946-2216.
• Beginning birding for all – 9 a.m. to noon, Thorn Creek Woods Nature Center, Park Forest. Watch and count birds, participate in bird activities and get help with bird identifications. Participants also will be a part of Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s “Great Backyard Bird Count,” a nationwide, citizen scientist survey taking place Feb. 16 to 19. For program details, including registration deadlines, visit the Event Calendar at ReconnectWithNature.org.
• Free Pet Medical Seminar – 1 to 2 p.m., NAWS Humane Society of Illinois, 9981 W. 190th St., Suite A., Mokena. Topics include: What happens during your pet’s physical exam and what vital signs mean; what to do if a pet is in distress and how to perform CPR; common emergencies and how to handle them; when to call your pet’s doctor; and when to head to the emergency room.
• Affordable pet vaccines – 5 to 8 p.m.,
2 Paws 4 U Pet Bakery, 1736 Essington Road, Suite C, Joliet. No appointment necessary. For information, call 630-961-8000 or visit www.spayillinois.org.