• Mokena July 4 Parade – 9 a.m. to noon, Wolf Road, Mokena. NAWS of Illinois is part of this parade. To join the rescue on the parade route and possibly help with pet handling, contact Jeannine at Jeannine@nawsus.org.
• “I Spy Wildlife” – 1 to 2 p.m., Forest Preserve District of Will County’s Monee Reservoir. Get outside and explore the trail in search of wildlife on a naturalist-led hike. Each week will feature a new search to see if you can spy turtles sunning, frogs croaking, herons wading and more. Free. All ages. Registration not required. For information, visit reconnectwithnature.org.
• Tail Waggin’ Tutors – 3 to 4 p.m., Coal City Public Library, 85 N. Garfield St., Coal City. Children build skills by reading to a therapy dog. First to fifth grade. To schedule a time, contact Rene Norris at 815-634-4552, ext. 110, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Ribbon Cutting for addition at Hammel Woods Dog Park – 4 p.m., Hammel Woods, DuPage River Access on Black Road, Shorewood. For a new small-dog enclosure that was built next to the existing dog park and dedication of a water fountain for people, pets and water bottles. Made possible by a $10,000 grant through PetSafe. Dogs at the ceremony don’t need permits, but must be current on rabies vaccinations. Permits required July 7 when park opens. To buy permits or for information, visit reconnectwithnature.org.
• Fridays in the Park with Abe – 7 to
9 p.m., Lincoln Landing, along the Illinois and Michigan Canal, Lockport. Featuring Fake I.D. (’70s and ’80s covers) and live Abraham Lincoln and Mary Todd re-creators. Abe and Mary Todd Lincoln look-alike contest. Bring lawn chairs, blankets, picnic foods and non-alcoholic beverages. Smokin’ Z BBQ food truck. Family and pet friendly. For information, call Gallery Seven at 815-483-4310.
• “Lake Renwick Bird Viewing” – 8 a.m. to noon, Plainfield. Volunteers and staff at viewing platform and visitor center to answer questions. Spotting scopes and a limited number of loaner binoculars are available. Bringing your own binoculars or spotting scope is recommended. Park in the Renwick Road lot. No dogs or bicycles. Free. All ages. Registration not required. For information, visit reconnectwithnature.org.
• Cat adoption – 5 to 7 p.m.; also 1 to
3 p.m., Bolingbrook PetSmart on Weber Road. Call Humane Haven Animal Shelter at 630-378-4208 for information or an appointment. All Humane Haven cats are spayed or neutered, microchipped, FeLV/FIV tested and have their distemper and rabies shots.