• Lake Renwick Heron Rookery – Open daily from 8 a.m. to sunset through Feb. 28. Hiking, running, bird viewing programs. Visit bit.ly/renwickreopens.
• Cat adoption – 5 to 7 p.m.; also 1 to 3 p.m., Sunday, Bolingbrook PetSmart on Weber Road. Call Humane Haven Animal Shelter at 630-378-4208 for information or an appointment. All Humane Haven cats are spayed or neutered, microchipped, FeLV/FIV tested and have their distemper and rabies shots.
• "A Rare Peak at Rails of the Midwest" – 7 p.m., Pilcher Park Nature Center, 2501 Highland Park Drive, Joliet. Presenter: Stephanie Beilke, conservation science manager with Audubon Great Lakes. Rails are a taxonomic family of birds with a tendency to be highly secretive, often dwelling in dense vegetation. Social hour at 6:30 p.m. Hosted by Will County Audubon Society. Free and open to the public. Visitwillcountyaudubon.org.
• “Four Rivers Bird Hike" – Event is 8 to 10 a.m., Oct. 12, McKinley Woods – Kerry Sheridan Grove, Channahon. Learn from an interpretive naturalist and other like-minded birders as you take a bird hike through oak-hickory forest or restored prairie near the Des Plaines River. Meet at the Four Rivers Shelter. Free; ages 18 or older. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or call 815-722-9470.
• Puppy Palooza! – 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Allied Nursery, Inc., 3197 S Chicago St, Joliet. Demonstrations, dog photos, swag bags, raffles!!! Proceeds benefit Will County Humane Society. Visit willcountyhumane.com.
• Paws to Read – 10:30 to 11:30a.m., Three Rivers Public Library District, 109 Wabena Ave., Minooka. Relax and read to a dog, Call 815-467-1600 or visit trpld.org.
• Eat a Bug – Noon to 12:30 p.m., Saturdays and Sundays through Dec. 5, Plum Creek Nature Center, Crete Township. Try a seasoned cricket or mealworm. Free. All ages. Drop-in. VisitReconnectWithNature.org.
• Bath Fundraiser – 1 to 4 p.m., Hopeful Tails Animal Rescue, 2303 Oak Leaf St., Joliet. For prices and information, visit Facebook or visit www.hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.