• Lake Renwick Heron Rookery – Open daily from 8 a.m. to sunset through Feb. 28. Hiking, running, bird viewing programs. Visit bit.ly/renwickreopens.
• Volunteer orientation – 5:30 to 7 p.m., Hopeful Tails Animal Rescue, 2303 Oak Leaf St., Joliet. Come dressed to volunteer for a short training. Wear closed-toe shoes and clothes you don’t mind getting dirty. RSVP at 779-206-2132. For information, visit hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.
• Affordable Pet Vaccines: 5 to 8 p.m., Karen’s Grooming and Boarding, 309 Republic Ave., Joliet. For information, call 630-961-8000 or visit spayillinois.org.
• Cat adoption – 5 to 7 p.m.; also 1 to 3 p.m., Sunday, Bolingbrook PetSmart on Weber Road. Call Humane Haven Animal Shelter at 630-378-4208 for information or an appointment. All Humane Haven cats are spayed or neutered, microchipped, FeLV/FIV tested and have their distemper and rabies shots.
• Stories with Santa – Noon and 2 p.m., Joliet Public Library, 150 N. Ottawa St., Joliet. Christmas crafts at 9 a.m. Joliet Mayor Bob O’Dekirk will join Santa for the 2 p.m storytime. A horse and carriage will also be outside from 3 to 5 p.m. for pictures and meet and greet with two of Santa's reindeer. Call 815-740-2660 or visitjolietlibrary.org.
• Adoption Event – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Louis Joliet Mall, 3400 Mall Loop Drive, Joliet. Hopeful Tails will be located in the Live 360 space next to Sears. For information, visit www.hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.
• Eat a Bug – Noon to 12:30 p.m., Saturdays and Sundays through Dec. 5, Plum Creek Nature Center, Crete Township. Try a seasoned cricket or mealworm. Free. All ages. Drop-in. Visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• “Meet a Beekeeper” – 12:30 to 2:30 p.m., Plum Creek Nature Center, Beecher. Mike Rusnak will discuss beekeeping. Q&A. 18 and older. Free. Registration is not required. VisitReconnectWithNature.org.