• Delicious barbecue is a precise combination of rub spices, time, temperature and smoke.
• Barbecue is hard to plan due to variables: weather, meat type, internal temperature. Allow sufficient time.
• Grilling is not barbecuing. Grilling uses high and direct heat for quick cooks (burgers and steaks). Barbecue uses indirect, consistent, low heat for longer cooks "slow 'n' low." (pulled pork and brisket).
• A well-made cooker, grill or smoker that uses charcoal or wood as its heat source is essential.
Use a good digital thermometer.
• Balance smoke with rub spices. Smoke should be a subtle supplement to the flavor of the meat.
• Use a combination of woods with bold flavor – like hickory and oak – with subtle and sweet flavored woods like cherry and apple.