• “Meet a Beekeeper” – 12:30 to 2:30 p.m., Plum Creek Nature Center, Beecher. Mike Rusnak will discuss beekeeping. Q&A. 18 and older. Free. Registration is not required. Visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• Cat adoption – 5 to 7 p.m.; also 1 to 3 p.m., Sunday, Bolingbrook PetSmart on Weber Road. Call Humane Haven Animal Shelter at 630-378-4208 for information or an appointment. All Humane Haven cats are spayed or neutered, microchipped, FeLV/FIV tested and have their distemper and rabies shots.
• “Hello Belva: Incredible Insects!”– 1 to 3 p.m., Plum Creek Nature Center, Crete Township. Walk through the “What’s Bugging Belva?” exhibit, and then explore the hidden world of insects with a naturalist outside. Discover butterflies grasshoppers, crickets, beetles. Free; all ages. Visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• Live Birds of Prey – 6 to 7 p.m., Plainfield Public Library District, 15025 S. Illinois St. Plainfield. Learn about owls, hawks, falcons, and other raptors at this educational program featuring live animals from Northern Illinois Raptor Rehab and Education. Register each adult and each child attending. A Plainfield library card is required. Call 815-436-6639 or visit plainfieldpubliclibrary.org.
• Bird Hike registration deadline – Event is 9 to 10 a.m., Sept. 7, Isle a la Cache Museum. Beginners welcome. Bring binoculars if you have them. Free; ages 16 or older. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or call 815-886-1467.
• Open Viewing – 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Hopeful Tails Animal Rescue, 2303 Oak Leaf St., Joliet. For information, visit www.hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.
• 4th Annual Homes for the Hounds Event – 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Joliet ReStore 1395 N. Larkin Ave., Joliet. Shops, pet adoptions, vendors and more!.
• A Day In The Life: Therapy Dogs – 11 a.m. to noon, Joliet Public Library, 150 N. Ottawa St., Joliet. Meet Bailey, Murphy and Lucy. Hear their stories, learn about their training and some ways therapy dogs are used to help people. Registration not required. Call 815-740-2660 or visit jolietlibrary.org.
• Slumber Funder Supply Drive – 6 to 9 p.m., Wags 2 Wishes Animal Rescue, 23907 W Industrial Dr N, Plainfield. To raise money and awareness. Bring a small donation of canned dog and cat food, bones, unscented bleach, laundry detergent and paper towels. For details on this unique event, visit this event on Facebook. For more information, visit w2wrescue.com.
• “Hello Belva: Incredible Insects!” – 1 to 3 p.m., Plum Creek Nature Center, Crete Township. Walk through the “What’s Bugging Belva?” exhibit, and then explore the hidden world of insects with a naturalist outside. Discover butterflies grasshoppers, crickets, beetles and more. Free; all ages. Visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• Eat wings raise funds! – 11 a.m., Buffalo Wild Wings,11820 Illinois Route 59, Plainfield. 15% of receipt donated to Will County Humane Society,
• Children's Butterfly Pom Pom Craft – 4:40 to 5:40 p.m., Morris Area Public Library, 604 Liberty St., Morris. Call 815-942-6880 or visit morrislibrary.com.
• Volunteer orientation – 5:30 to 7 p.m., Hopeful Tails Animal Rescue, 2303 Oak Leaf St., Joliet. Come dressed to volunteer for a short training. Wear closed-toe shoes and clothes you don’t mind getting dirty. RSVP at 779-206-2132. For information, visit www.hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.