• Lake Renwick Heron Rookery – Open daily from 8 a.m. to sunset through Feb. 28. Hiking, running, bird viewing programs. Visit bit.ly/renwickreopens.
• Volunteer orientation – 5:30 to 7 p.m., Hopeful Tails Animal Rescue, 2303 Oak Leaf St., Joliet. Come dressed to volunteer for a short training. Wear closed-toe shoes and clothes you don’t mind getting dirty. RSVP at 779-206-2132. For information, visit hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.
• Affordable Pet Vaccines: 5 to 8 p.m., Karen’s Grooming and Boarding, 309 Republic Ave., Joliet. For information, call 630-961-8000 or visit www.spayillinois.org.
• Cat adoption – 5 to 7 p.m.; also 1 to 3 p.m., Sunday, Bolingbrook PetSmart on Weber Road. Call Humane Haven Animal Shelter at 630-378-4208 for information or an appointment. All Humane Haven cats are spayed or neutered, microchipped, FeLV/FIV tested and have their distemper and rabies shots.
• “Moth Mania!” registration deadline – Event is 7 to 9 p.m., Plum Creek Nature Center, Crete Township. Hike with flashlights to find hidden insects glowing along the trail. This program is being held in conjunction with the “What’s Bugging Belva?” exhibit on display at the nature center through Nov. 30. Free; ages 6 or older. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or call 708-946-2216.
• Open Viewing – 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Hopeful Tails Animal Rescue, 2303 Oak Leaf St., Joliet. For information, visit hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.
• Annual Whisker Walk 5k – 8 a.m. to noon, Hammel Woods, hidden shelter entrance, Route 59, Shorewood. Benefits Will County Humane Society.For tickets, visit willcountyhumane.com.
• Homes for Dogs Adoption Weekend – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., NAWS Humane Society of Illinois 9981 W 190th St Ste A, Mokena. Visit nawsus.org.
• Homes for Dogs Adoption Weekend – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Coldwell Banker The Real Estate Group, 119 Capista Drive, Shorewood. Hopeful Tails will have pets available for adoption. Visit hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.
• Homes for Dogs Adoption Weekend – 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Coldwell Banker The Real Estate Group, 1222 N. Division St., Morris. d. Hopeful Tails will have pets available for adoption. Visit hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.
• Jim Melka Landscaping and Garden Center's Fall Festival – 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Jim Melka Landscaping & Garden Center, 11606 179th St., Mokena. Train Rides, craft/vendor fair, pony rides, petting zoo, pumpkin painting, fun jump, build your own scarecrow, games, food, prizes
• Cat Adoptions at PIP Rescue Fest – 11 a.m to 3 p.m., BirdHaven Greenhouse, 227 Gougar Road, Joliet. Many pet rescues and vendors.