• Lake Renwick Heron Rookery – Open daily from 8 a.m. to sunset through Feb. 28. Hiking, running, bird viewing programs. Visit bit.ly/renwickreopens.
• Volunteer orientation – 5:30 to 7 p.m., Hopeful Tails Animal Rescue, 2303 Oak Leaf St., Joliet. Come dressed to volunteer for a short training. Wear closed-toe shoes and clothes you don’t mind getting dirty. RSVP at 779-206-2132. For information, visit hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.
• Santa Photo With Your Pets! – 6 to 8 p.m., Santa's House, 111 E. Illinois Ave., Morris.
• Kitty Adoption Event – 4 to 7 p.m., NAWS Humane Society of Illinois, 9981 W 190th St Ste A, Mokena. Visit nawsus.org.
• Cat adoption – 5 to 7 p.m.; also 1 to 3 p.m., Sunday, Bolingbrook PetSmart on Weber Road. Call Humane Haven Animal Shelter at 630-378-4208 for information or an appointment. All Humane Haven cats are spayed or neutered, microchipped, FeLV/FIV tested and have their distemper and rabies shots.
• Bingo for Have a Heart Dog Rescue & Adoption – 7 to 8:30 p.m., River Hawk Brewing, 24735 W Eames St., Channahon. $25 ticket donation includes Bingo card, a free door prize raffle ticket and dog treat. Second Bingo card for $5. Visit riverhawkbrewing.com or call 815-255-2202.
• Pet Photos with Santa – Also Dec. 20, Louis Joliet Mall, Joliet.
• Holiday Pawlooza Pancake Breakfast – 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Joliet Moose Lodge, 25 Springfield Ave., Joliet. Vendors, pictures with Santa (for pets and people) and bakery for sale. To register for breakfast and photos with Santa, visit bit.ly/2ONA1LC. Benefits Hopeful Tails Animal Rescue in Joliet.
• A Western Winter Wonderland – 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Heritage Bluffs Public Golf Club
24355 W Bluff Road, Channahon. Singing cowboy, petting zoo, pony rides, roast marshmallows, drink hot chocolate, hayrack ride, decorate cookies, make holiday crafts, candy cane scramble. Bring camera, dress for outdoor weather. Visit channahonpark.org/special-events.
• Paws to Read – 10:30 to 11:30a.m., Three Rivers Public Library District, 109 Wabena Ave., Minooka. Relax and read to a dog, Call 815-467-1600 or visit trpld.org.
• Reindeer on the Green Event – Noon to 2 p.m.,Breidert Green, Frankfort. Up-close encounter with two Alaskan reindeer, performances by Frankfort Girl Scouts Service Unit 718 and the Black Willow Brass Quintet, make reindeer ornament, complimentary cookies and hot cocoa served by Lincoln-Way East Interact Club. Visit villageoffrankfort.com/calendar.
• Affordable pet vaccines – 5 to 8 p.m., 2 Paws 4 U Pet Bakery, 1736 Essington Road, Suite C, Joliet. No appointment necessary. For information, visit www.spayillinois.org.